Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day One

I have little to say right now. I've been holed up all day, bored and a bit sick with the usual. Got all of my June appointments scheduled early this morning, then went to sleep until 5 PM.

I went for a drive and passed this sign again. The church put it up a month or so ago and I've been uneasy over the fact that they haven't taken it down yet. Every time I drive by, I can't help but stare. It glows eerily in the night yet is somehow more terrifying in the day...


I've grown fascinated with these signs around here. I make rounds every week to see what they'll come up with next. I'm not about to go inside and inquire on a Sunday morning, but hey.

The other night, I was driving around and found a stack of sheet music scattered across an intersection on a tiny street. I got out, collected it, dusted it off. I'd been selfishly hoping I'd find some good classical music but it was all Christian hymns. The church was down the street and I drove by slowly looking for a mail slot. Nothing. Drove around back and found a bunch of women in the parking lot, loading their cars. I rolled my window down and they all simultaneously flinched--dark car in a dark alley with a dark figure rolling down the window. I get it. I finally convinced one of them to approach and handed her the booklets and she thanked me--said they were indeed from her choir--but she eyed me strangely. They still give me the weird looks. Again, I get it.

When I was a kid, maybe 12 or 13, people started coming up to me randomly on the street and telling me I was evil. I was such an innocuous-looking girl. Tiny, innocent, covered head-to-toe. But the existential crisis had begun long before and I had a fear that these people could somehow see into my soul and I was terrified.

In reality they were probably just psychotic or on a crack run. Hello, LA.



Going to try to eat and sleep off this day. It's looking like a bread and Coke night only. All pity or self-indulgence aside, it was a complete waste of a sunrise and sunset. No arguing that! Here's hoping tomorrow's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment