Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back on track

I ate pretty normally yesterday, which was nice. Kept it light for dinner but snacked a lot--and did the waffles before bed. The only "trick" I've ever had for gaining weight. 3 Eggos or a Belgian waffle from a restaurant every night as late as I can tolerate food. Here's hoping I put on a few. I lost 3 pounds last week from being sick--back down to 90.

So last night I headed to the grocery store and found my favorite baby Yukon Gold potatoes. Picked up two packages and ate almost an entire one for dinner! I can put potatoes away like nobody's business. They're truly a miracle food--far better for you than most people think and one of the only "real" foods I can stomach when feeling like crap. It's nice to break up the monotony of eating saltines.



Roasted potatoes and carrots: chop them all up, roll around in a little dab of olive oil and season with salt and pepper or some garlic salt. Roasted til crispy. Yum...
I eat these every night practically. I change up the seasonings or leave them off altogether and dip in BBQ sauce when my stomach allows.

Speaking of carrots, I read an article recently which stated that chopping carrots into small pieces before cooking causes them to lose most of their nutrients. Some scientist somewhere with loads of time figured this out and recommends keeping carrots whole during simmering or roasting, then cutting them after. I figure it can't hurt, so I do that now. Just peel them and roast them whole. They're fun to eat like this too, when they're all carmalized and chewy.

Off to a family dinner. Hopefully there are potatoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment